Welcome to AutoBoardz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

2000 Honda CRV time to replace?

 
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Honda -> Honda CRV Forum RSS
Next:  You guys think Toyota parts are expensive...  
Author Message
wf3h

External


Since: Aug 05, 2007
Posts: 3



(Msg. 1) Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:19 pm
Post subject: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace?
Archived from groups: alt>autos>honda (more info?)

OK here's the siuation.

I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been GREAT with NO
maintenance beyond oil change, etc.

However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and tires to the
tune of $800.

Is it worth it? Anything else gonna go wrong in the near future? How's
the tranny gonna hold up at this age? Or is it time to give it up and
look at a replacement?

I drive about 30 miles each way to work...and occasionally a 500 mile
round trip from Dallas to Houston...

comments?

Thanks everyone!

 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Elle

External


Since: Oct 29, 2005
Posts: 444



(Msg. 2) Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:40 pm
Post subject: Re: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

One quick observation: The timing belt for the 2000 CR-V is
due for replacement at 105k miles. I would have it done
a.s.a.p., because (1) it's way overdue and (2) a failed
timing belt has a high probability of destroying the engine.

Tack on another $600 or so for replacing the timing belt.

Otherwise, I wish the long term performance of CR-Vs was
better known at this time. If this were a Honda Civic, I'd
say put the money into it, because years-wise, it's young.
Years on a car count more than miles, from my reading.

My first inclination is to put the money into the truck and
aim for another five years of performance. Even if you only
get a year out of it, you're still paying less per annum
than what this has cost you, no?

wrote

> OK here's the siuation.
>
> I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been
> GREAT with NO
> maintenance beyond oil change, etc.
>
> However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and
> tires to the
> tune of $800.
>
> Is it worth it? Anything else gonna go wrong in the near
> future? How's
> the tranny gonna hold up at this age? Or is it time to
> give it up and
> look at a replacement?
>
> I drive about 30 miles each way to work...and occasionally
> a 500 mile
> round trip from Dallas to Houston...
>
> comments?
>
> Thanks everyone!
>

 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
wf3h

External


Since: Aug 05, 2007
Posts: 3



(Msg. 3) Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:19 pm
Post subject: Re: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 15:40:21 -0600, "Elle"
wrote:

>One quick observation: The timing belt for the 2000 CR-V is
>due for replacement at 105k miles. I would have it done
>a.s.a.p., because (1) it's way overdue and (2) a failed
>timing belt has a high probability of destroying the engine.

yeah i had a feeling this was the next big issue.

>
>Tack on another $600 or so for replacing the timing belt.
>
>Otherwise, I wish the long term performance of CR-Vs was
>better known at this time. If this were a Honda Civic, I'd
>say put the money into it, because years-wise, it's young.
>Years on a car count more than miles, from my reading.
>
>My first inclination is to put the money into the truck and
>aim for another five years of performance. Even if you only
>get a year out of it, you're still paying less per annum
>than what this has cost you, no?

so far...of course there's the tranny...

thanks for the update!
>
> wrote
>
>> OK here's the siuation.
>>
>> I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been
>> GREAT with NO
>> maintenance beyond oil change, etc.
>>
>> However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and
>> tires to the
>> tune of $800.
>>
>> Is it worth it? Anything else gonna go wrong in the near
>> future? How's
>> the tranny gonna hold up at this age? Or is it time to
>> give it up and
>> look at a replacement?
>>
>> I drive about 30 miles each way to work...and occasionally
>> a 500 mile
>> round trip from Dallas to Houston...
>>
>> comments?
>>
>> Thanks everyone!
>>
>
 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Dan Beaton

External


Since: May 17, 2004
Posts: 16



(Msg. 4) Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:55 pm
Post subject: Re: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

(wf3h@comcast.net) writes:
> OK here's the siuation.
>
> I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been GREAT with NO
> maintenance beyond oil change, etc.
>
> However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and tires to the
> tune of $800.
>
> Is it worth it? Anything else gonna go wrong in the near future? How's
> the tranny gonna hold up at this age? Or is it time to give it up and
> look at a replacement?
>
> I drive about 30 miles each way to work...and occasionally a 500 mile
> round trip from Dallas to Houston...
>
> comments?
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
A good shop should be able to do and end-to-end inspection, and list the
condition of each system, estimated life, and expected cost of maintenance
in the next year. This is only an estimate, but it would help you make an
informed decision.

From what you say though, unless it has seen rough use, a serious accident
or is rusting, I would say it is well worth keeping.

Dan
 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Scott C1

External


Since: Jun 26, 2004
Posts: 16



(Msg. 5) Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:58 pm
Post subject: Re: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Get on the Internet - buy the parts you need at 1/2 the dealer cost, get a
general Honda mechanic to install them at 1/2 the dealer cost - and you are
set. I have been doing this the my Volvo and BMW for some time, and even my
son's VW - it's a great way to go. BMA Auto - http://www.bmaparts.com/
delivers parts overnight, good prices.. and get to know a local (within 10
miles of you) mechanic and you are set for a win-win !

sc

wrote in message

> OK here's the siuation.
>
> I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been GREAT with NO
> maintenance beyond oil change, etc.
>
> However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and tires to the
> tune of $800.
>
> Is it worth it? Anything else gonna go wrong in the near future? How's
> the tranny gonna hold up at this age? Or is it time to give it up and
> look at a replacement?
>
> I drive about 30 miles each way to work...and occasionally a 500 mile
> round trip from Dallas to Houston...
>
> comments?
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Tegger

External


Since: Nov 24, 2006
Posts: 1587



(Msg. 6) Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 am
Post subject: Re: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wf3h.TakeThisOut@comcast.net wrote in

> OK here's the siuation.
>
> I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been GREAT with NO
> maintenance beyond oil change, etc.
>
> However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and tires to the
> tune of $800.



Who the hell is telling you to replace the shocks at 150K miles? They
should last *well* over 300K.


--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
John Horner

External


Since: May 08, 2005
Posts: 721



(Msg. 7) Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:55 am
Post subject: Re: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wf3h.DeleteThis@comcast.net wrote:
> OK here's the siuation.
>
> I have a 2000 Honda CRV with 150K miles on it. It's been GREAT with NO
> maintenance beyond oil change, etc.
>
> However, it now needs new struts, shocks, alignment, and tires to the
> tune of $800.
>
> Is it worth it? Anything else gonna go wrong in the near future? How's
> the tranny gonna hold up at this age? Or is it time to give it up and
> look at a replacement?
>
> I drive about 30 miles each way to work...and occasionally a 500 mile
> round trip from Dallas to Houston...
>
> comments?
>
> Thanks everyone!
>

Those are all normal maintenance items for a vehicle at that mileage.
I would do the repairs and keep running it.

Be aware that not all shocks and struts are created equal. There are
many different quality levels on the market. It seems that the Honda
originals served you well. I would replace them with OEM or the white KYBs.
 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Private Private

External


Since: Mar 27, 2007
Posts: 26



(Msg. 8) Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:40 am
Post subject: Re: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Yeah I still have originals on My 1993 Del Sol. I can take sharp turns
at 50mph no problem...its fun watching the vehicle behind me suddenly
fall waayyy back in the same turn.
B18c1 w/custom turbo, ac ,nice daily driver tune. Weight 2100 . Lots of
carbon, full interior though.


>Who the hell is telling you to replace the shocks
>at 150K miles? They should last *well* over 300K.
 >> Stay informed about: 2000 Honda CRV time to replace? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
2000 Honda CRV - [url=http://Toyota.autoboardz.com/p0131-oxygen-sensor-code-ftopict209107.html]p0131 oxygen sensor code[/url] The check engine light on my 2000 Honda CRV came on. A local garage (Atlanta, Georgia) read the code p0131 - bad oxygen sensor - and reset the...

Is my steering pump gone? - 2000 Honda CRV power steering pump making excessive vibration and noise. Fluid level is up and foamy. When steering is turned all the way right or left foamy fluid is released from reservoir. Any idea what is wrong here? Thanks for any and all help.

2000 CR-V Problem - My wife's 2000 CR-V SE has just developed the following problems: 1. The dome light stays on all the time unless the switch is in the off position. 2. The power door locks will not lock with the keyless remote or the switch on the door panel. All fou...

Honda CRV - My wife is detemined to buy a Honda CRV. I am opposed. Can anybody out there give me some ammunition to discourage her???

Honda CRV 2006--when? - When do the 2006 models of the CRV come out. Is there any significant changes from the 2005's ?
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Honda -> Honda CRV Forum All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]